Ave Maria Press, an apostolate of the Congregation of Holy Cross, is excited to celebrate the canonization of the first Holy Cross saint, Brother André Bessette! Pope Benedict XVI will canonize Brother André on October 17 in Rome. In honor of this occasion, Ave Maria Press is sponsoring a $500 academic scholarship to be awarded to one student currently enrolled in a Catholic high school in Brother André’s honor.
Write a 500-word essay entitled “Brother André Bessette: A Model for Humble Service.”
Focus of the Essay
• Apply Jesus’ message of the first Beatitude—“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”—to the life of Brother André. (How did Brother André recognize by his life of service that everything he possessed was from God?)
• How are you personally able to live a life of humble service modeled on the example of Brother André?
Also include in the essay:
• Biographical information on Brother André Bessette.
• Inclusion of Brother André’s devotion to St. Joseph and how St. Joseph himself modeled humble service to God.
• The events surrounding Brother André’s canonization.
One winning student will be selected!
The deadline for receiving essays is Friday, September 17, 2010 at 4:30 EST.
Essays should be double–spaced and printed.
Essays should include:
• Name of student
• School of student
• Location of school
• Name of current theology teacher
Essays will only be accepted as printed copies, received by mail. Please mail entries to:
Brother André Essay Contest
c/o Michael Amodei
Ave Maria Press,
PO Box 428
Notre Dame, IN 46556
One $500 scholarship payable to a Catholic high school or to the college of a 2011 Catholic high school graduate in the name of the winning student will be announced on Saturday, October 2, 2010 as part of the Ave Maria Press Enrichment Day for high school religion teachers.
The teacher named on the most qualifying essays will win a complete set of Ave Maria Press textbooks for up to 50 students at his or her school. This winner will also be announced on October 2, 2010 at the Enrichment Day.
For more information contact Michael Amodei, Executive Editor, Adolescent Catechesis.