Pope Francis has raised the liturgical memorial of St. Mary Magdalene, the woman from the Gospels who, according to the pope, “so loved Christ and was so greatly loved by Christ, to a feast day. The text of Pope Francis' announcement, “Apostle of the Apostles,” is available here.
As you find an occasion to share this news with your students, find time to also:
- A news announcement on the lifting of the memorial to a feast
- Information on the differences between a solemnity, feast, and memorial
- Some background on the life of St. Mary Magdalene
- Background on the possible location of Magdala
- A reflection by Archbishop Jose Gomez of Los Angeles on the meaning of the life of St. Mary Magdalene