The late Brian Doyle is among eight people receiving the annual Spirit of Holy Cross Award from the Congregation of Holy Cross, United States Province of Priests and Brothers.
Doyle, who died earlier this year, wrote the award-winning A Book of Uncommon Prayer, released by Ave Marie Press in 2014. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame in 1978, Doyle served as editor of the University of Portland’s Portland magazine. Ave, Notre Dame and Portland are apostolates of the US Province.
The award, which marks the Solemnity of Our Lady of Sorrows (September 15), acknowledges the contribution of lay collaborators to the vision and mission of Holy Cross founder Blessed Basil Moreau to make God known, loved, and served through education, parish, and mission settings. Our Lady of Sorrows is the patroness of the Congregation.
The other 2017 winners of the Spirit of Holy Cross Award include:
- Nancy Conroy, Holy Cross House, Notre Dame, Indiana
- Paul Fujawa, member of St. Casimir Parish in South Bend, Indiana
- James Kramer, associate director of development for the US Province, Notre Dame
- Pedro Pablo Miranda, manager of St. George’s College in Chile
- Mary Nucciarone, director of financial aid at Notre Dame
- Benito Salazar, director of the Celestial Choir at St. Adalbert Parish in South Bend
- Lucyann Skvarla, King’s College, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania