OUT OF STOCK - A digital version of the textbook can be purchased from the iBookstore, VitalSource, and EdTech.
(© 2013) This textbook has been found in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
The revised edition of The Old Testament: Our Call to Faith and Justice covers the remarkable journey of God’s Chosen People and their journey in Scripture. As with any relationship, the divine-human one described in the Old Testament has dramatic episodes of jealousy and angry disappointment, but also shows moments of moving love, compassion, and forgiveness. The Jewish people forged an intimate relationship with God that was brought to fullness in the coming of God’s Son, Jesus Christ. This text also includes a Catholic Handbook for Faith, an appendix section with a wealth of information to help students review material they have covered in other religion courses.
Among the new features of this revised edition:
- Section Overviews that introduce the content of each section in one simple sentence.
- Section Quick View bulleted points that summarize the content of each section.
- New Testament Connections that explicitly link Old Testament prophecies and events with the person, mission, and ministry of Jesus.
- Vocabulary Review and Performance Assessment Projects that offer, in several different learning approaches, opportunities for students to share what they learned in each chapter.
Table of Contents
1 Preparing for the Journey: Ten Frequently Asked Questions
2 Maps for the Journey: Geographical, Historical, and Literature Context
3 Stories for the Journey: Creation and the Founding of A People
4 The Journey Begins to the Promised Land: The Exodus
5 The Journey Takes New Shape: A People at Home
6 The Monarchy: The Journey Takes a New Direction
7 God’s Prophets: At the Heart of the Journey
8 Turning Point in the Journey: The Destruction of Judah, Exile, and Return
9 A Spiritual Journey: A Look at Wisdom and Apocalyptic Literature
10 The Journey Leads to the Time of Jesus
Appendix: Catholic Handbook for Faith
Index of Key Terms
Trim size: 8.5 x 11 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
“Touches the intellect and the spirit.”
“We chose to use The Old Testament: Our Call to Faith and Justice at Mater Dei High School because it is so well organized and it takes the reader through the Old Testament that touches both the intellect and the spirit. This text enables us to discover with our students the heart of the covenantal message of the Old Testament, which is faith and justice. In addition to the wonderful text, the Teacher's Wraparound Edition and the online resources are outstanding and a definite time-saver for teachers.”
Theology Teacher, Mater Dei High School, Santa Ana, CA
- The Old Testament (Teacher’s Manual)$44.95
- Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Student Text)$28.95
- Sacred Scripture: A Catholic Study of God’s Word (Student Text)$28.95
- Bible Basics for Catholics$15.95
- 31 Days to Becoming a Better Religious Educator$10.95
- Jesus Christ: God’s Revelation to the World (Student Text) [Second Edition]$28.95