A Catholic Response to Talking About Suicide
September 13, 2021 | 31 min.
In this special episode, we talk about how the Church responds to mental illness and suicide. Deacon Ed Shoener shares the story of the tragic death of his daughter Katie and the power of community after loss.
Listen now on
Ed Shoener was ordained a permanent deacon in 2004 and serves at St. Peter’s Cathedral in the Diocese of Scranton. He cofounded the Association of Catholic Mental Health Ministers and The Katie Foundation, after his daughter, Katie, died by suicide in 2016. The obituary he wrote for her went viral.
- When a Loved One Dies by Suicide$11.95
- Responding to Suicide$18.95
- Seriously, God?$16.95
- Finding Sanctuary$15.95
- May You Find Comfort$4.50
- Praying Our Goodbyes$16.95
- ABCs of Healthy Grieving$12.95
- May I Walk You Home?$13.95
- Finding Your Way After Your Child Dies$15.95
- Finding Your Way After Your Parent Dies$13.95
- Finding Your Way After Your Spouse Dies$15.95
- A Sorrow Shared$13.95
- Fly While You Still Have Wings$16.95
- Breakthrough: The Companion Journal$10.95
- Helping Teens with Stress, Anxiety, and Depression$15.95
Find more free resources for here.
The contents of this page, such as text, graphics, images, and other material are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your mental health professional or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding your condition.
If you are in crisis or you think you may have an emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. If you're having suicidal thoughts, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to talk to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area at any time (National Suicide Prevention Lifeline). If you are located outside the United States, call your local emergency line immediately.
Based on Your Listening
|Saints Who Struggled with Mental Health Issues with Tommy Tighe||The Power of Healing with Fr. John Burns and Sr. Miriam James Heidland||At the Foot of the Cross with Leticia Ochoa Adams||Made for More with Leah Darrow|