Seven Gospel passages of Jesus' words on the Cross are known as the “seven last words of Christ.” You may wish to use these passages for prayer and reflection during Holy Week. Have the students write both the passage and a response to the question that follows in their journals.
1. “Father, forgive them; they do not know what they are doing” (Lk 23:34).
- Who do I find it impossible to forgive? How can I overcome this feeling?
2. “In truth I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Lk 23:43).
- Who is someone who is lonely and hurting that I can comfort this week? How can I do it?
3. “Woman, this is your son…. This is your mother” (Jn 19:26-27).
- What is something kind I can do for my mother this week? What are ways that I make my family members proud of me?
4. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mt 27:46)
- What is the greatest obstacle to my faith? Write a prayer that asks God for help with this challenge.
5. “I am thirsty” (Jn 28).
- What is something right that I thirst for? How can I avoid thirsting for what is wrong?
6. “It is fulfilled” (Jn 19:30).
- What are major commitments I have made for my life? How can I better follow through on those commitments?
7. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (Lk 23:46).
- What is the hardest thing in my life to let go of? What are other things that keep me from following the Lord?