Pray for Us
Publication date: October 22, 2021
How is it possible that a chain-smoking socialist, a teenage video gamer, an opium addict, a satanic high priest, a disabled beggar, and a self-absorbed mean girl became saints?
Popular itinerant missionary Meg Hunter-Kilmer will stretch your preconceived notions of holiness by exploring the lesser-known lives of seventy-five extraordinary people whose human struggles and limitations reveal the power of God’s grace.
Pray for Us isn’t your ordinary saint book: Hunter-Kilmer highlights the sorrows, struggles, and idiosyncrasies of broken people who turned their lives around and dedicated themselves to God and his work. Through these edgy profiles, full of fresh and fascinating stories, she explores the universal call to holiness and how God can transform anyone—from grouchy theologians to bratty teenagers—into saints. You’ll discover that anyone—even you—can become a saint if you trust in the Lord.
Among those you will meet are
- Blessed Carlo Acutis, an ordinary Italian teen who enjoyed video games and loved the Eucharist but refused to waste time on things that weren’t pleasing to God.
- Blessed Sara Salkahazi, a chain-smoking socialist and wild-child from an upper-class Hungarian family who exposed the plight of the working class and smuggled Jewish people to safety during World War II.
- Blessed Victoire Rasoamanarivo, a married woman who defied the opposition of her difficult family to lead the Church in Madagascar.
- St. Dulce Pontes, the daughter of a wealthy family in Brazil who decided to serve the poor by becoming a nun and teaching literacy to children and their parents in the slums.
- Blessed Bartolo Longo, a satanic priest who returned to the Church, worked to bring people back to Christ, founded schools for the poor, established orphanages, and created Rosary groups.
- St. Mark Ji Tianxiang, a Christian opium addict who never got clean but still had the courage to die a martyr’s death for his beliefs during the Boxer Rebellion in China.
Hunter-Kilmer presents the unvarnished lives of the saints and holy people in a way that reveals the power of God’s grace in their lives. Their stories—and especially their brokenness—are relatable to us all.
An extensive index that includes names, feast days, and patronages will help you find the inspiration you are looking for in the lives of these holy people.
Trim size: 5.5 x 8.5 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
“The saint book for the rest of us.”
“The saint book for the rest of us who have failed more times than we care to admit.”
Fr. Agustino Torres, C.F.R.
Founder of Corazon Puro
“Get this book for any person who thinks saints are boring and irrelevant.”
“What a diverse collection of captivating stories, so well told and so invigorating! These are not dull, saccharine accounts, stringing together bare facts and dates as most saint collections do. This book is like fiery magma, lively and flowing with verve. Get this book for any person who thinks saints are boring and irrelevant.”
Senior content director at Word on Fire Catholic Ministries
“Humorous and relatable.”
“A fresh take on holiness. Meg Hunter-Kilmer’s vignettes reveal the humorous and relatable aspects of holy Catholics from all over the globe—lay people as well as clergy and religious.”
Catholic speaker, podcaster, and radio host
“With passion, captivating storytelling, and compelling insights, Hunter-Kilmer has provided a force of a resource to help tell the stories of the saints, the ones we know well and the ones we should take the time to meet.”
Katie Prejean McGrady
SiriusXM Radio host and host of the Ave Explores Podcast
- The Catholic Hipster Handbook$15.95
- Catholic Hipster: The Next Level$15.95
- A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms$18.95
- My Badass Book of Saints$14.95
- Super Girls and Halos$15.95
- Thérèse, Faustina, and Bernadette$15.95
- A Feast for Hungry Souls$24.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Hardcover)$49.95
- St. Dymphna’s Playbook$17.95
- St. Teresa of Avila$22.00
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Imitation Leather)$59.95
- The Life of St. Thérèse of Lisieux$18.95 $5.00