When Pope Francis puts pen to paper, people around the world pay attention.
Between 2017 and 2020, the Holy Father published six groundbreaking documents with topics ranging from the importance of scripture to Catholic social teaching, and from injustice in the Amazon to the role of religion in building world peace.
These seven documents—letters, apostolic exhortations, an encyclical, and a statement cosigned by Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmad Al-Tayyeb—are gathered in one volume for the first time.
Volume 2 includes:
- Gaudete et Exultate, March 19, 2018: In his apostolic exhortation Rejoice and Be Glad: On the Call to Holiness in Today’s World, Pope Francis reissues the universal call to holiness, challenges us to recognize the “saints next door” we encounter in daily life, and provides a practical meditation on how we can respond to the Lord’s invitation to become his disciples.
- Document on Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together, February 4, 2019: This document emphasizes the important role of religion in building world peace and the rights of freedom, justice, and full citizenship for all people—including women. It was cosigned in Abu Dhabi by the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmad Al-Tayyeb, during Pope Francis’s apostolic visit to the United Arab Emirates.
- Apperuit Illis, September 30, 2019: This apostolic letter, Instituting the Sunday of the Word of God, reflects on Vatican II’s teaching on the importance of the scriptures and encourages all Catholics to embrace the Bible as part of their rich spiritual heritage.
- Christus Vivit, March 25, 2019: Christ is Alive is the post-synodal apostolic exhortation to young people framed on three key principles: God loves you, Jesus saves and suffers with you, and Jesus is alive.
- Querida Amazonia, February 12, 2020: The 2020 post-synodal apostolic exhortation Beloved Amazon addresses injustice and exploitation in the Amazon region, outlines challenges to caring for creation and respecting the cultures of indigenous peoples, and renews consideration of how the Church’s mission can and should take shape in the twenty-first century.
- Fratelli Tutti, October 4, 2020: All Brothers and Sisters: On Fraternity and Social Friendship is Pope Francis’s third encyclical and the only one written between 2017 and 2020. This seminal work challenges us to take a fresh look at the great ideals of the Church’s social teaching and put them into practice on a new—and more personal—level.
- Patris Corde, December 8, 2020: The apostolic letter With a Father’s Heart declared 2021 the Year of St. Joseph, and provides an extended meditation on the various facets of Joseph’s fatherhood.
Trim size: 6 x 9 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
“Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”
“With the passion of a pastor and the wisdom of a bishop, Pope Francis addresses urgent, global events including the pandemic, the Amazon, young people, and family life. In word and deed, the Holy Father brings the Gospel message to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.”
Fr. Joseph Laramie, S.J.
National director of the Pope’s Worldwide Prayer Network
“A wonderful summons to the whole Church.”
“Christus Vivit is a wonderful summons to the whole Church to more vigorously invest in youth and young adults, especially those on the peripheries and those who are disconnected from the Church.”
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
“Francis has moved opposition to the death penalty into the foreground of Catholic social teaching.”
“With Fratelli Tutti, Francis has moved opposition to the death penalty into the foreground of Catholic social teaching, completing the church's long journey of mercy and reconciliation.”
Fr. James Martin, S.J.
- The Complete Encyclicals, Bulls, and Apostolic Exhortations$27.95
- Christ in the Storm$19.95
- The Lumen Fidei (Light of Faith) Study Guide$9.99
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Hardcover)$49.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Imitation Leather)$59.95
- Bringing Lent Home with Pope Francis$3.50
- Reclaiming Francis$13.95
- This Is Our Faith (Revised and Updated Edition)$17.95
- Teachings for an Unbelieving World$20.00
- Reclaiming Vatican II$17.95
- Why I Am Catholic (and You Should Be Too) [Paperback]$15.95