- Advent Resources
- Adult Faith Formation
- Bulletin Inserts
- Lent Resources
- Ministry and Pastoral Planning
- RCIA Resources
- Religious Education
- Retreat Resources
- Sacrament Preparation
- Small-Group Resources
- Spanish Resources
- Stations of the Cross Booklets
- Youth Ministry
- Ministry Bestsellers
- Downloadable Resources
- Professional Webinars
- Just Released
- Forthcoming Titles
- Adult Coloring Books
- Death and Dying
- Family and Parenting
- Grief and Loss
- Ignatian Spirituality
- Marian Books
- Marriage and Relationships
- Personal Growth
- Prayer Books and Devotionals
- Prayer and Meditation
- Women's Spirituality
- Spirituality Bestsellers
- Holy Cross Books
- Just Released
- Forthcoming Titles
Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Student Text) [Second Edition]
Framework Course III
Trim size: 8.5 x 11 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
On-sale date: March 19, 2018
Available from These Digital Distributors
Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition) introduces students to a deeper theological study of essential life questions, foremost: "Why do we need to be saved?" and "How are we saved?" The answers are revealed in God's plan for Redemption.
Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition), now written and formatted in the instructional design of the Encountering Jesus series, offers a blueprint for a thorough theology that is complemented by ample opportunities for faith-filled discipleship. This text shares God's invitation for a fuller participation in the Paschal Mystery of Christ.
Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition) maintains the excellence for which the first edition had been known and appreciated, and upholds and amplifies the tradition and standard of excellence of author Michael Pennock. The text is intellectually stimulating but accessible to students of all types of learning styles and skills who enter this course with varying backgrounds in theology.
This is a textbook primarily for first-semester sophomores enrolled in a Catholic high school. It serves as the core textbook for a course "The Mission of Jesus Christ (Paschal Mystery)" as specified by Course III of the USCCB's doctrinal framework.
Developed in collaboration with experts in theology, catechesis, and pedagogy, Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition) includes a number of new features as part of an innovative design, including:
- Chapter Focus Questions: Each chapter’s main idea is posed as a question to the student to provide a broader context in which new ideas can be integrated and understood.
- Infographics: A wide variety of visual and interactive designs throughout the text helps students understand theological concepts in ways they will remember.
- Currents Events: Each chapter opens with a story from the contemporary world that teens can relate to their own lives.
- Educational Photos: Images throughout the text have been carefully chosen not only to illustrate the chapter but also for teachers and students to use as educational tools.
- Note-Taking Graphic Organizers: Designed to help students organize, summarize, and sequence the text, various types of organizers were customized for every section of the book.
- Section Assessments: Each section includes pedagogically designed assessment questions with labels that show how the questions serve a variety of different learning styles.
- Online Resources: As always, teachers can access a wide variety of online resources at the Ave Maria Press website, including videos, PowerPoints, handouts, crossword puzzles, reading guides, and tests.
(© 2018) The Subcommittee on the Catechism, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, has found that this catechetical high school text is in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church and fulfills the requirements of Core Course III of the Doctrinal Elements of a Curriculum Framework for the Development of Catechetical Materials for Young People of High School Age.
Classroom ResourcesSee All Resources
- Chapter 1 (Large)
- Chapter 1 (Medium)
- Chapter 1 (Small)
- Chapter 2 (Large)
- Chapter 2 (Medium)
- Chapter 2 (Small)
- Chapter 3 (Large)
- Chapter 3 (Medium)
- Chapter 3 (Small)
- Chapter 4 (Large)
- Chapter 4 (Medium)
- Chapter 4 (Small)
- Chapter 5 (Large)
- Chapter 5 (Medium)
- Chapter 5 (Small)
- Chapter 6 (Large)
- Chapter 6 (Medium)
- Chapter 6 (Small)
- Chapter 7 (Large)
- Chapter 7 (Medium)
- Chapter 7 (Small)
- Chapter 8 (Large)
- Chapter 8 (Medium)
- Chapter 8 (Small)
- Chapter 9 (Large)
- Chapter 9 (Medium)
- Chapter 9 (Small)
Directed Reading Worksheets
- Chapter 1: What’s the Story on Creation?
- Chapter 1: The Four Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 1: Bishop Barron on Misreading Genesis
- Chapter 2: How Do We Have Free Will If God Is All Knowing?
- Chapter 2: What Is Original Sin?
- Chapter 2: The Bible and Covenant
- Chapter 2: The Archangels
- Chapter 3: Son of God -- Hillsong Worship
- Chapter 3: Who is Jesus?
- Chapter 3: How Can Jesus be Both God and Human?
- Chapter 4: Bible Theater: Luke—Jesus Calls His First Disciples
- Chapter 4: St. Peter, the First Pope
- Chapter 4: What is a Parable?
- Chapter 5: Why Was the Cross Necessary (Faith Seeking Understanding)
- Chapter 5: Why Did Jesus Have to Die the Way He Did?
- Chapter 5: Mark Hart on Jesus Christ’s Passion and Death
- Chapter 6: Is the Resurrection a Lie?
- Chapter 6: Mark Hart on Jesus Christ's Resurrection
- Chapter 6: Pentecost
- Chapter 7: Sacraments 101: Baptism (Why We Baptize)
- Chapter 7: What Is the Last Judgment?
- Chapter 7: The Four Last Things
- Chapter 8: Fr. Ben Talks about Formation of Conscience
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on Faith, Hope, and Love
- Chapter 8: Do’s and Don’ts of Evangelization
- Chapter 9: C4: Ignite Your Faith—What Is Prayer?
- Chapter 9: Tips for Praying
- Chapter 9: Rediscover: Forms of Prayer
- Chapter 9: What Is the Liturgy of the Hours?
Other books in The Encountering Jesus Series:
- Foundations of Catholic Social Teaching: Living as a Disciple of Christ (Student Text)
- The History of the Catholic Church (Student Text)
- Jesus and the Church: One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic (Student Text)
- Jesus Christ: God's Revelation to the World (Student Text) [Second Edition]
- Jesus Christ: His Mission and Ministry (Student Text) [Second Edition]
- Meeting Jesus in the Sacraments (Student Text) [Second Edition]
- Your Life in Christ: Foundations in Catholic Morality (Student Text) [Third Edition]
The Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition) eTextbook is available for the iPad in the iBookstore.
The Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition) eTextbook is available in VitalSource.
The Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition) eTextbook is available in the EdTech/ESCO Shelfit Bookstore.