A Catholic Guide to Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss
Publication date: April 5, 2024
Losing a child is devastating. For Catholic parents who lose a child before or shortly after birth, this profound grief often comes with distinctive, sudden, and difficult questions about God, the Church, and who they are now as parents to the child they have lost. Why did God let this happen? Where is my baby? Can the Church help me make sense of this? What do we do now?
In A Catholic Guide to Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss, Abigail Jorgensen serves as a companion and guide through perinatal loss in light of Catholic teaching. She addresses difficult medical, theological, and practical questions asked by loss parents and the friends, family, pastors, ministers, and medical professionals who support them.
Jorgensen has first-hand experience, both as a mother who has lost children in miscarriage and as a Catholic bereavement doula—someone who walks with families through early child loss. Through her own experiences, she discovered how hard it can be to find adequate answers and spiritual help from the within the Church, so she wrote the book that she and her clients have needed.
This first-of-its-kind resource blends Jorgensen’s professional expertise with the wisdom of the Church to provide an essential guide through the most pressing concerns that arise during this difficult time. Drawing on the Bible, the Church’s prayer traditions, the saints, sacraments, official teaching documents, and grief support research, Jorgensen offers comfort, hope, and compassionate responses to tough questions, including:
- Why does perinatal loss happen?
- Will I be with my baby again?
- What are normal emotions, and when should I seek extra support?
- How should we grieve as parents?
- What saints can I turn to as a loss parent?
- How do I approach God with these painful questions?
- Why would God allow such a short life?
- How can I honor my baby’s memory?
- What if I say the wrong thing to someone who is grieving the loss of their child?
- How do I support someone who experiences anger during their grief?
Through easy-to-navigate question and answer sections, helpful definitions, and practical takeaways, A Catholic Guide to Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss provides parents and their support networks a crucial lifeline through this heartbreaking experience.
Trim size: 6 x 9 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
- The Grief of Dads$18.95
- Finding Your Way After Your Child Dies$15.95
- Be Healed$17.95
- Our Faithful Departed$14.95
- Seriously, God?$16.95
- ABCs of Healthy Grieving$14.95
- May You Find Comfort$4.50
- Winter of the Heart$7.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Hardcover)$49.95
- When Your Days Are Dark, God Is Still Good$15.95
- Living the Word Catholic Women’s Bible$64.95
- The Mystery of Suffering$13.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Imitation Leather)$59.95