The Rosary is one of the most recognizable of all Catholic devotions, yet many who love the Rosary have yet to discover the profound truths contained in its mysteries. In Praying a Christ-Centered Rosary, popular author and teacher James L. Papandrea brings together the devotional heart and the curious mind helping readers tap into the Church’s rich heritage of theological reflection to ponder the mysteries of Christ hidden within the Rosary. With these meditations, Papandrea reveals that while the prayers of the Rosary seem to focus primarily on the Blessed Mother, she always points us back to her son Jesus.
As a revert to Catholicism, James L. Papandrea wasn’t naturally drawn to the Rosary: Its simplicity and repetitiveness seemed to lack the depth he hoped to find in prayer. But over time, he began to understand how the Mysteries of the Rosary could unlock the deepest mysteries of Jesus Christ and foster a profound and personal encounter with God. He will help you do so as well.
Papandrea focuses on the mysteries beyond the Gospel events and taps into two millennia of theological reflection focusing especially on the early Church fathers. He connects each of the twenty Mysteries of the Rosary to one of the deepest truths of Catholic faith. Theological reflections are framed as paradoxes which reveal the profoundly Christological nature of this timeless devotion and empower Catholics to go deeper. Readers will ponder how
- the Visitation reveals an Almighty God who is helpless;
- the Institution of the Eucharist shows Christ as both priest and sacrificial victim;
- the Scourging at the Pillar reveals that our Savior is also a suffering servant; and
- the Descent of the Holy Spirit affirms the interaction between human will and divine grace.
Praying a Christ-Centered Rosary begins with a brief history of Marian devotion and the Rosary’s central place in it. Each of the twenty brief chapters that follow guides readers through one of the Mysteries of the Rosary with three questions which lead to a deeper understanding of our faith: What is the Mystery? Where was Mary in the Mystery? What Does the Mystery Tell Us about Jesus? and closes with a brief prayer. The book concludes with instructions for praying the traditional Rosary along with new prayable theological meditations for each mystery based on the more completely developed content of the book.
Trim size: 5 x 7 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
“Brings together the mind and the heart.”
“This book will guide you to pray and to meditate in a way that brings together the mind and the heart and allows Our Mother Mary to lead you closer and closer to Jesus through the Rosary.”
Fr. James Phalan, C.S.C.
National Director of Family Rosary
“Reignites our enthusiasm for the Rosary.”
“In Praying a Christ-Centered Rosary, James Papandrea proves that the devotion is both Christo-centric and biblically based. In the process, he helps us to discover or reignite our enthusiasm for this powerful spiritual weapon.”
Marge Steinhage Fenelon
Author of My Queen, My Mother
“Answers questions pertinent to each mystery.”
“This book asks questions pertinent to each mystery of the Rosary and then answers them. Praying a Christ-Centered Rosary will aid the Rosary novice and grow the Rosary pro’s prayer and meditation.”
Fr. Edward Looney
Author of A Heart Like Mary's
- The Early Church (33–313)$17.95
- The Ave Treasury of Catholic Prayers$19.95
- Living the Rosary$12.95
- The Ave Guide to the Scriptural Rosary$16.95
- Real Men Pray the Rosary$15.95
- The Family That Prays Together Stays Together$12.95
- The Mysteries of the Rosary$10.95
- Word by Word$15.95
- All for Her$20.00
- A Deacon Prays$14.95
- The Ave Prayer Intentions Journal$17.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Imitation Leather)$59.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Hardcover)$49.95
- Living the Word Catholic Women’s Bible$64.95
- Words of Faith: Our Prayers (The Rosary) [PDF License]$8.95
- Living the Word Companion Journal$22.95