What if we looked at the things we see wrong in the world with empathy, dug below the surface of people’s disappointing actions to experience their pain, and understood hurtful words as a cry for consolation? What if we responded with sorrow instead of outrage, and love instead of hate?
If we could do all that, we’d be living as Jesus taught us in the Beatitudes. Fr. Casey Cole, OFM—host of YouTube’s Breaking the Habit—wants you to embrace the pain caused by anger and division in the world and then look to Jesus for hope through the Beatitudes.
“The only thing that evangelizes is love,” Cole writes. “The only thing that will ever change someone’s mind, cause them to turn from their evil ways, accept Jesus into their lives, and become a peacemaker themselves is love. If we want to make peace in our world, we must put down our weapons and take up the cross.”
In The Way of Beatitude, Cole explores the meaning of the words Jesus preached at the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5: 3–12) and shows you how to get beyond apathy and despair and help Christ bring about the Kingdom of Heaven in the here and now. The Beatitudes, he says, offer a path toward radical change.
You will learn how to:
- surrender to the mercy of God;
- face with courage the heartache caused by division and animosity;
- be patient and lean into God’s providence;
- hunger always for justice;
- commit to solidarity with the powerless and the broken;
- be liberators of the oppressed; and
- lay down your life for the sake of God’s Kingdom.
By sharing his own stories of striving toward supreme blessedness, Cole shows you how to surrender power and move beyond the harmful divisiveness of our world.
Chapters include reflection questions and practical ideas for living the Beatitudes.
Trim size: 5.5 x 8.5 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
“Insightful, humorous, and practical.”
“Fr. Casey Cole, OFM, challenges us to encounter the Beatitudes in a new and hopeful manner. His fresh perspective is insightful, humorous, and practical. The examples from life experience and thought-provoking questions make this an excellent guide to pursuing and living the Beatitudes in one's own life.”
Bishop Michael F. Burbidge
Diocese of Arlington
“A great book.”
“What a great book! Fr. Casey Cole, OFM, offers a beautiful and deep encounter with the Beatitudes.”
Fr. Harrison Ayre
Cohost of the Clerically Speaking podcast
“A model of how we can be agents of peace.”
“Few can reach across the divides of our Church and world—age, ideology, clerical state—like Fr. Casey Cole. He brings the wisdom of the gospels into the twenty-first century and models how we can be agents of peace in a polarized age.”
Executive editor at America
Cohost of the Jesuitical podcast
“One of Catholicism’s most positive voices.”
“A contemporary, wonderfully realistic look at the Beatitudes by one of Catholicism's most positive voices.”
Cofounder of Busted Halo
- Let Go of Anger and Stress!$14.95
- Christ in the Storm$19.95
- One Church$17.95
- What to Say and How to Say It$16.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Hardcover)$49.95
- Just Rest$16.95
- This Is Our Faith (Revised and Updated Edition)$18.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Imitation Leather)$59.95
- The Heart of Catholicism$14.95
- New Testament Basics for Catholics$17.95
- What to Say and How to Say It, Volume II$17.95
- 25 Life-Changing Questions from the Gospels$15.95
- Why I Am Catholic (and You Should Be Too) [Paperback]$15.95
- Arise to Blessedness$18.95