Most Catholics don’t believe that Jesus is really present in the Eucharist. Rather, they see the bread and wine of Holy Communion as mere symbols of Christ’s body and blood. Is that disbelief just a misunderstanding or is it a blatant rejection of one of the central beliefs of the faith?
In Real Presence, University of Notre Dame theologian Timothy P. O’Malley clears up the confusion and shows you how to learn to love God and neighbor through a deeper understanding of the doctrine of real presence.
A 2019 study by the Pew Research Center found that almost seventy percent of Catholics don’t believe that Jesus is really present in the Eucharist.
O’Malley offers a concise introduction to Catholic teaching on real presence and transubstantiation through a biblical, theological, and spiritual account of these doctrines from the early Church to today. He also explores how real presence enables us to see the vulnerability of human life and the dignity of all flesh and blood.
O’Malley leads you to a deeper understanding and renewed faith in Catholic teaching about transubstantiation and real presence by helping you learn
- how the doctrine of real presence is rooted in divine revelation and how the Church’s teaching regarding transubstantiation is spiritually fruitful for the believer today;
- how to make your own the doctrine of real presence by worshipping Christ in the Eucharist and therefore making a real assent to real presence;
- how the Eucharist, although not the exclusive presence of Christ in the Church’s liturgy and mission, is crucial in growing our capacity for recognizing those other presences; and
- the important relationship between Eucharistic communion and adoration.
Trim size: 5 x 7 inches
Imprint: Ave Maria Press
More Books in the Engaging Catholicism Series
“This book is essential reading at our moment in the Church’s history.”
Catholic author and executive vice president of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology
“What a delightful read!”
“Experiencing God's presence, not simply knowing the facts of Church teaching, is essential if we are to guide others to discover the gift of Christ's real presence in the Eucharist. In this concise and excellent book, Timothy P. O'Malley helps us recover an integrated understanding of real presence. Once again, he has woven together the academic and pastoral world beautifully. What a delightful read!”
Interim executive director of the Department of Evangelization
Director of the Division of Catechetical and Pastoral Formation
Archdiocese of Baltimore
“A powerful tool.”
“The Engaging Catholicism series is a powerful tool to bring the beauty and depth of our Catholic theological tradition to those who need it most. This series will help many to truly engage our Catholic faith.”
Most Rev. Andrew Cozzens
Auxiliary Bishop of Saint Paul and Minneapolis
- Ten Ways to Pray$13.95
- Ten Ways to Pray Discussion Guide$0.00
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Hardcover)$49.95
- Stations of the Cross with the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus$5.95
- Eucharistic Adoration$13.95
- Gifts of the Eucharist$12.95
- The Ave Catholic Notetaking Bible (Imitation Leather)$59.95